Finn and The Swirly Spin is one of the latest innovations from the brilliant NetEnt. This Irish-themed online and mobile slot comes with a twist – literally – as traditional spinning reels are done away with. In place of them comes a swirling 5×5 reel grid. The grid sees the reel symbols swirl around as they land into place, followed by an avalanche as any winning combinations explode and disappear, with fresh symbols taking their place. This allows for multiple wins and a great deal of fun!
This Irish game is led by Finn, a lovable leprechaun character, and packs in a heap of colourful graphics and features. Throw in a variety of free spins and random features, and NetEnt appear to have conjured up yet another intriguing and unique hit online slot.
When spinning – or swirling – the reels of Finn and The Swirly Spin, it’s the rubies that you want to land. These are the higher value symbol, followed by the acorn, the horse shoe and the four-leaf clover. The lower value icons are the hearts and spades. Joining these are the golden star wild, which substitutes all symbols but the key symbol.
The key symbol is your pathway to free spins. The game always starts with a key symbol to the bottom left of the reels. As you spin and win, the key symbol naturally progresses to the centre of the swirl, where it will unlock the door to free spins. If the key does not reach the lock and there are no more wins created, the symbol will start again for the next spin at the bottom left.
When a winning combination is created that includes a wild, the contributing wild will explode any adjacent symbols, causing an avalanche. If the win does not contain a wild, a wild symbol will appear in place of one the exploding and disappearing symbols.
Random features can occur after any spin. These are:
- Starfall Wilds – two or more wilds are placed randomly on the reels
- Irish Luck – one type of symbol appears on the reels and makes up a horizontal or vertical line. This guarantees a win.
- Dragon Destroy –a dragon destroys a random selection of symbols which triggers an avalanche
- Magic Transform – this transforms all the spades and hearts into higher value symbols
Each time a key symbol lands on the central reel position, it unlocks a selection of free spins. Players can collect keys; even if they use them each time to play a free spins game, their number of collected keys does not reduce.
There are four different free spins games, although the first time the games are unlocked, the player will only be able to play Star Bar Free Spins, as this only requires 1 key to play.
- Star Bar Free Spins (requires 1 key) – 7 free spins
- Lava Lair Free Spins (requires 4 keys) – 3 free spins with Dragon Destroy feature and a new sticky wild symbol
- Lucky Mug Free Spins (requires 9 keys) – 4 free spins with Lucky Mug feature
- Golden Pot Free Spins (requires 16 keys) – 2 free spins with Magic Transform feature
You might be a little tired of Irish-themed slots, but give this one a try. NetEnt are out to impress yet again with a swirly spin and feature-packed game. It’s unique and it’s exciting, therefore sure to be a hit with punters of all levels.