NetEnt are simply brilliant at producing collections of online slots games, such as their superbly popular Rock trilogy. The latest collection of slot games from one of the greatest developers in the business is FairyTale Legends, featuring our favourite classic storybook characters. We’ve had Jack in the Beanstalk, and now it’s time to review Red Riding Hood. In true NetEnt style, the game design is quite stunning. There isn’t even a standard, fixed backdrop; instead we find Red Riding Hood strolling along the forest and the scenery passing by as she does so. The graphic design is brilliant; the 5 reels are transparent, there are 30 pay lines and the game is full to the brim with special bonus features. NetEnt sure know how to keep us engaged!
The lower value symbols are the typical playing card icons from Ace through to 10, but these are joined by higher win, theme-related symbols. These include the game logo, a crown crest, a lock and key, a rose and a book. The whole design looks suitably magical.
The special symbols featured within Red Riding Hood are the wild – this is Red Riding Hood herself. She appears on the middle 3 reels only, but on all reels in free spins. There is also a blue chest symbol which is the bonus icon.
Well…where to start? Red Riding Hood offers so many bonus features, it’s difficult to know where to begin…
Firstly, the Red Riding Hood Wild – land 2 or more of these symbols in the main game and they turn into Sticky Wilds, whilst awarding a Sticky Wild respin, for extra winnings.
Secondly, there’s the bonus game, which must be triggered by landing 3 bonus symbols on reels 1, 3 and 5. You pick 1 of the 3 blue chests to reveal your bonus game; the options are:
- Beware the Wolf – this is a board game-style game, in which Red Riding Hood makes her way across the board to win prizes, but land by the wolf and the game is over.
- 10 Free Spins
- Instant Coin Win (15x your total bet)
In addition to the above, Red Riding Hood also has 3 features that occur completely randomly in the main game. These are:
- The Fairy Magic Spin – a group of medium value symbols form an overlay on the reels for a single spin
- A Fairy Surprise – a medium value symbol is selected at random, and the rest of the reel symbols each turn into the chosen symbol until a win is awarded
- Fairy Wild Spin – either 3 or 4 wild symbols appear randomly on the middle 3 reels during the spin, ultimately awarding a Sticky Wild respin.
As usual, NetEnt have struck gold with a stunning, well-designed game that thoroughly impresses with a wide range of bonus features and unique elements. Our favourite part is the board-game type bonus game, and the moving backdrop of course. Don’t be put off by the ‘cute’ theme – this is a game you must try out.